Aunty Peg's

July 01, 2019


Two weeks ago, I was scrolling through 'Xiao Hong Shu' (小红书, it's like a China version of Pinterest) in the middle of the night (it was a Friday night), and one of the posts mentioned that Aunty Peg's has this weekly cupping event every Saturday at 10:30am and I immediately went there the next morning. 







(I ordered the Castillo Honey Cold Drip, and it has a hint of mango, papaya, strawberry & sparkling notes in it. Will definitely come back and try the Castillo Honey brewed with v60!)

I actually made a "Cafe to-go" list a long time ago and Aunty Peg's was (it has been ticked off now hehe) in my list too! The reason why it took me so long to visit Aunty Peg's is that they only serve black coffees :( I've tried Long Black & Espresso and I just don't like it......I prefer milk coffees (but only full cream milk tho I don't like skinny/ soy/ almond/ oat that's a big no-no for me) over black coffees but cold drip is still acceptable for me. c: 

Below are taken during the cupping session (and did I mention the event is free? click on "cupping session" to find out more about it) and they were taken with my phone (s9) so please bear with the photo quality as I don't enough hands to hold my DSLR during the cupping session hehe☺
In that particular week, they brewed 3 differently processed Kenya beans: Natural, Washed, and Honey process.

Natural process means that the beans are dried naturally with the flesh of the cherries (the coffee fruit) on it, leaving the fruity flavours in the beans.

The flesh is completely removed (and beans were washed before drying) in the washed process, and the beans that have gone through this process usually have a bright and clean taste.

There is no honey involved in the honey process, and it lies between the natural and washed process because the flesh is removed but not washed, resulting the beans to taste not as fruity nor as clean as natural/ washed processed beans.


Shop and industrial coffee roasters. The one the left is used if only a small amount of beans is required, and has a capacity of 2 or 5kg (I forgot, but it's definitely less than 10kg). The one on the right is the Giesen coffee roaster and it can take up to 15kg of beans if I'm not mistaken. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong!)

 Another industrial coffee roaster that can hold up to 22kg of beans if I'm not wrong. One thing for sure is that this has the highest capacity among all. 

This is how unroasted beans look like (They somehow looked like peanuts to me). Colour may vary if it is differently processed. 

Feel free to approach any of their staff there (They are all very knowledgeable and they don't bite!) if you have any doubts/ unsure of which beans to buy. I have an Aeropress at home (will do a review after I figure out my favourite way to brew my coffee with it!) and I regret not doing any research before buying my first pack of coffee (I bought the beans because of its packaging design but I don't like it at all :( it tastes sour too even after I added milk in my coffee \(ಥ ̯ ಥ)/ or maybe I'm brewing my coffee in a wrong way I'm not sure)...... so this time I've learnt from my lesson that I should always ask if I'm unsure of anything and the staff will recommend you some of their beans based on your preference. This time I can say I found my favourite coffee beans and I'm definitely going to stock up some beans before going back to Malaysia \(●´ω`● \)

Location: 200 Wellington St, Collingwood 3066 VIC
Nearest Tram Stop: Hodgson Street (4 mins walk away from Aunty Peg's)
Price: $5 or more (Price may vary as they change their menu frequently)
Rate: /5


Really appreciate Aunty Peg's for organizing this weekly event, had fun there and made a new Japanese friend too (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ That's all for now and I will be posting reviews for Tigerous Espresso and Cibi cafe soon so be sure to follow my Instagram/ Facebook page to get new updates! See you in my next post☺ 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Latest YouTube Video